- The purpose of my work is to accomplish my clients’ real-world goals.
- I will hold myself accountable for the knowledge and skills necessary to do my work well.
- I will never use my clients’ lack of knowledge against their best interest.
a. I will not mislead my clients.
b. I will not misrepresent my own knowledge.
General Approach to Projects
- I will offer solutions within the context of the real-world goals of the project.
- I will know, and communicate, the boundaries of my own competencies.
- I will treat my clients with respect.
- I will offer, and adhere to, clear timeframes in which the client can expect a response from me.
- I will communicate steadily and proactively about the project’s cost and progress toward completion.
- I will not dissolve, or become unavailable for, client relationships without proactively informing my
WordPress Development Practices
- I will not market myself as a “WordPress developer” without the qualifications of that term.
a. Knowledge of PHP.
b. Knowledge of WordPress as a software system.
c. Knowledge of proper development practices.
d. Fundamental knowledge of SEO.
- I will take seriously, and hold myself accountable for investigating, the quality of the third-party
software I use within WordPress.
a. Defensible theme choices.
b. Defensible plugin choices.
- My hosting recommendations for my clients will stand up to reasoned scrutiny.
- My use of third-party software will not have the purpose of compensating for gaps in my knowledge.
- I will not use WordPress for projects that are bad fits for the software.
- I will not outsource labor without informing the client.
- I will track my time and bill for the tracked amount.
- I will only bill for time that the client is aware I’m billing for.
More Information About Our Code
While we have always held ourselves to a strict code of ethics, this rule set is adapted from an article titled “The Small-Business WordPress Developer Code of Honor”, originally published on WPShout. If you’d like to learn more, or read more details about why these rules are important, and why you should care as a small business owner, click the button below.